My Partners in crime

Sunday, August 8, 2010

funerals in hawaii!

Yesterday, I attended a Hawaiian funeral. I cant deny, this was a beautiful ceremony. I have only been to one other funeral, one that represented sorrow and grief, this one however was and surprisingly joyous. It was a celebration of life rather than morning of death.
On top of the difference in atmosphere of this funeral, there were many traditional and cultural performances. There were Samoan chants and singing, and families shared happy and loving memories, poems and stories. Overall this experience was almost overwhelming due to the love everyone had for one another. I am honored to have attended the celebrating a life of such and amazing man as Palei. Afterward we all had a Samoan/Hawaiian mean. Im not going to lie-I have eaten better. However, the sweets were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment