My Partners in crime

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fun on Mauna Kea!



I know I'm a little behind on the update, but I didn't have time to edit my pictures until now.

On Saturday, our wonderful friends gave us the opportunity to experience the tallest mountain in the world (6,ooo ft of it underwater). It was such an amazing trip!

It started with me, Steff, Sam and Joe picking up our friend James. Then we headed over to his friends house for the more suitable car for the journey. We all piled into the truck and went to gas up and stock up on munchies. Auntie Thelma made us DELICIOUS sandwiches so we only needed chips and such.

This took like three hours total, so, as you can imagine, we were all thrilled to finally be on our way.

The scenery was surreal: Beautiful green pastures, many combaya trees, wild animals running free (well not really free).... it was amazing. As we gained elevation, the warmth thinned, and soon enough, so did the air. When we were at the half way mark we all could feel it.
After that point, it was the obvious DANGER journey. The road was gravel, half of it was one laned, and very steep! AND SUUUPPPERRR high up. Yeah, I'll admit it- I WAS a little scared.
Anyways we got up all safe and sound. Then when we hopped out of the truck for a bathroom break, Steff and I nearly feel over because of how light headed we were. When I say the air was thin, I mean it! We felt HIGH literally!
Anyways after that it was all fun and all games. We sled on body boards (and walked slowly back up cuz we were always out-of-breath), ate and sled some more!

Here are some piks so you guys get the idea..


Steff and I


Race down the hill


Me sledding down


Our Snowmen (Umpa Lumpa and Willie Wonka)


Sam trying to get his feet warm
(soaked so he took everything off) 


Steff in the lead


Joe standing on his board while sledding down.


Steff with Umpa (Before we made Willie)


Me with Umpa!

Well that's a little of our adventure. Sorry that the Piks are mostly grey scale, for some reason my computer doesn't allow me to use PICNIK so I had to use some nock-off, no offense to FOTOFLEXER..


1 comment:

  1. AHahah this looks like a lot of fun! i would like to go there when i come down..its pretty cool to get snow in hawaii. very unsual but cool.. :)

    ReplyDelete